Pat Connor is a film/video enthusiast currently working as an Associate on the Merchandising team at LetsTalk.com in San Francisco, CA. Pat is passionate about bringing high quality video to the web, being adventurous and innovative, and collaborating with his friends and colleagues. Like what you see/read? Want to reach out as a like-minded artiste? Then reach out to me!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Work and The Power of a Written Thesis





Moving into Integrative Project II is a totally unique experience from anything else in the art school. Not only is it an intensive experience, but it's one that continues through the winter recess and into the winter semester. Unlike the normal advanced studios, a student can't outrun the IP experience simply by surviving through a single semester.

Thankfully, our professors assigned a thesis over the recess, and I've recently experienced the wisdom of this. When the project gets hard, like when it's hard to see how the final work will come together, it's tempting to move in a new direction. This is dangerous, and I found myself wanting to move away from the documentary and into shorter, more narrative videos. I was into storyboarding my second piece when I grabbed my thesis paper that I had stuck onto my studio wall. Reading over my ideas and reflections, I was reminded of the original intention of the project, and the work that I still needed to do. I was reminded what my IP is all about. Capturing first hand accounts of instances of self-critique, and depicting them through performative video. This deeper understanding also facilitated a new series taken in and around a frozen pond. A "Snow Walk" represents the narrator's feelings of vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers